Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Inside My Fridge


Workout


Before I get to talking about food I want to talk about today's workout and the lack of one yesterday. Yesterday I had 4 miles plus speed work scheduled and was planning on running when I got off of work. Whenever I got off I saw a text from a friend asking if I wanted to go to his sister's with him because they were ordering cookies and of course I said yes. I mean seriously, cookies beat running every time.

So today I did both speed work and strength training. I felt like crap with the sprints today. It might have to do with the fact that I ate lunch about an hour before.


Complete all of the reps/sets of each exercise before moving on to the next. Rest 15 seconds between sets!




What's in my fridge?


Ever wondered what is inside another person's fridge or cupboard?

Well today I thought it might be fun to share with you what I have stocked up in mine! Living in the dorms doesn't allow for a huge fridge or awesome cabinet space so I have a mini fridge that has a few things in it and some storage drawers packed to the brim with different snacks.



I always have a couple of water bottles for those days that I am running out of time to fill up my Brita water bottle. Lately I have been enjoying cheese sticks, hummus, and yogurt for snacks. I usually have Chobani Greek Yogurt in there but I ate it all and bought a thing of Yoplait Key Lime Pie Whips the other day for a treat.


When it comes to breakfast, I normally don't have time to sit down and eat a bowl of cereal but when I do I normally eat Special K Red Berries or Kashi Healthy Heart.


For the days I can't eat a bowl of cereal I eat granola bars. I'm not big into snacking but when I am hungry I'll grab one of them to munch on. I have found that I can eat the Special K Chocolate Pretzel bars about a half hour before a long run and feel amazing on it. Sometimes after a hard run or workout I will eat a Clif bar (not shown) or a Clif Builder's Bar for extra protein.


Some other favorite snacks of mine are fruit snacks and beef jerky.


And for a boost of energy and a chocolate treat I will grab a handful of chocolate covered coffee beans. These are perfect when studying or just to satisfy a sweet craving.


Trail mix, dried fruit, cheese with sticks, and CHEEZ-ITs are also a snack around here. I'm always reaching for a big glass of water and CHEEZ-ITs after a long run if I don't feel good. I don't know why - maybe it's the salt in them - but I always feel 10x better after eating them.


And what college student do you know that does not have Ramen somewhere in their room?


I always have a bag or two of Pretzel Crisps, Food Should Taste Good Chips, and The Better Chip stashed away. I love eating the Original Pretzel Crisps with hummus! And let's face it, eating these versus Doritos or Lays is so much better for you and you feel better afterwards too.


I also have a bag full of nut butters. Whenever I want to jazz up a piece of fruit then I get one of these out and spread it on the fruit for some extra flavor and protein.


Out of all of these snacks, the ones that I have to have in my room are CHEEZ-ITs, yogurt, granola and protein bars, beef jerky, and something sweet to satisfy my taste buds.

Update: Since graduating college, I have created another great post - Healthy Snacks for College Students That Won't Break the Bank. It is full of healthy options and tips and I would love for you to check it out!





What is something that is always in your fridge?

2 comments:

  1. Yum...Cheez-Its and Pretzel Crisps...2 of my favorite snacks! I rarely buy either of them, though, because I cannot control myself around them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had similar drawers with oatmeal and Easy Mac while I was in college :) I always have apples and yogurt in my fridge. I can't live without either!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...