Monday, April 22, 2013

Double Digits

When I first signed up to run the Indy Mini-Marathon in May my dad had mentioned that one of his friends at work ran it every year and was interested in running it with me. I immediately agreed to it, having no idea how fast this guy ran and having never met him before. This weekend I had both the pleasure of meeting Lance and running with him.

I talked to him on the phone earlier last week about meeting up to go on a run and at first was a little nervous. He is in the Army so in my head I had pictured a big intimidating guy who would be pushing me the entire run yelling at me to run faster. I was so relieved when I  met him and he was quite the opposite. He was willing to run any pace that I wanted and didn't yell at me to hurry up once!


(I thought I would end up being like the guy on the right in this picture with an Army man pushing me to my limits. Thankfully that wasn't me on the run yesterday. Note: the guy on the left is my dad! Can you see why I imagined Lance to be a little intimidating?)

I met Lance at his house because he had a good 10 mile route planned out. We ended up running through a college campus and around a huge lake. The view was gorgeous and the weather was perfect.

Our splits are as follows:


We ended up finishing the 10 miles in 1 hour 35 minutes with an average pace of 9:33. Not bad for my first 10 miler! I felt some pain around mile 7 which is why we backed off our pace a little bit and today I'm feeling a little sore but after some rolling and spending time wearing my compression socks I'm feeling better! This week I plan to start tapering because the race day is in 11 days!

Question


Did you go on any runs over the weekend? Do you have a favorite route?













































5 comments:

  1. Haha - I'd be intimidated too by Army men if that were my dad!! Great job having a running buddy while training for your half :) I can't wait to read about how well you run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that sounds like a lot of fun! I loveeee long runs- especially on perfect days! Great job girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to be able to begin training for my first half marathon this November! Rowing is taking up so much of my time though :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! I get so nervous when it comes to training sessions like those. I'm a huge wimp who likes to hide in the gym, but I've been wanting to channel my inner beast and let her come out to play.

    Keep up the great work. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...